As a member of KEEP, you will receive these great benefits:
- BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE ADMISSION to the Kentucky Horse Park and American Saddlebred Museum
(excludes parking and special events).
- FREE ADMISSION to any of Kentucky's Pari-mutuel Race Tracks
(excludes parking fees, Kentucky Derby, Kentucky Oaks, and "Downs after Dark" events at Churchill Downs and may exclude special events at all venues)
- Members also receive important KEEP updates, Calendar of Events and other horse industry related news via email.
Besides supporting an all breeds, all discipline equine organization in the state of Kentucky, you are also helping KEEP build a network of thousands of Kentuckians working to support the state's horse industry - which supports over 100,000 direct & indirect jobs and has more than a $4 billion impact on Kentucky's economy. Horses really do work for Kentucky!
Since its inception in May 2004, KEEP has grown to over 15,000 members strong and has worked tirelessly to protect and strengthen Kentucky's signature industry by providing a strong voice in Frankfort in an effort to pass important Legislation benefitting not only our industry but the entire Commonwealth.
What has KEEP done?
- Kentucky Breeders Incentive Fund – Sales tax from stud fees used to go to the Kentucky General Fund. KEEP and its army of members were heavily involved in the passage of the important legislation that created the KBIF. Now that money is redirected to Kentucky breeders. Since inception, nearly $150 million has been paid to the breeders of Kentucky bred Thoroughbreds, Standardbreds, and non-race breeds.
- Historical Horse Racing - Since September 2011, this innovative form of pari-mutuel wagering has generated over $34 Million for purses at Kentucky tracks and contributions to the Kentucky Thoroughbred Development Fund, Breeders Incentive Fund and other horse industry programs. As additional tracks add these exotic wagers, conservative revenue estimates project this amount to exceed $20 million annually.
- Kentucky Proud – In cooperation with the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, horses were reclassified to be part of the state’s agricultural industry. So, horse farms are now eligible to apply for matching marketing funds as part of the Kentucky Proud Program to market their horses and equine services.
- Public Opinion - When KEEP was formed in 2004, the favorable rating for Kentucky’s horse industry was just over 40%. In a recent statewide poll completed in the spring of 2014, 71% of Kentuckians had a favorable attitude towards the horse industry.
- Grassroots Program - KEEP has made a large investment in our grassroots outreach, contributing over $650,000 to nearly 900 local horse shows, 4-H, FFA, Therapeutic, trail riding and equine education organizations throughout the state since 2006. Our continual participation and presence at these equine events throughout the state has served to elevate the favorable image of the horse industry to the state.
- Public Outreach - KEEP has built a grassroots network of thousands of members and volunteers representing all equine breeds, and disciplines in all 120 counties in Kentucky. Through communication with our membership, we have encouraged active participation in the political process, and continue to utilize that network to assist in our lobbying efforts.
What is KEEP doing?
KEEP continues to support beneficial legislation for Kentucky's horse industry. We remain focused on the removal of the unfair sales tax from equine feed and equipment for horse owners (see our advocacy page for more info), protecting and strengthening the highly successfuly Breeders Incentive Program and continuing work on a tax reform platform to make Kentucky's horse industry more competitive with other racing states. KEEP will also continue to support local 4-H programs, horse shows, FFA, academic equine programs, trail riding organizations, and breed associations through its grassroots efforts.
If you have membership questions or just questions in general, please contact our office M-F, 9 - 5pm at 859-259-0007 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you decide to join forces with our group as we work together to make positive changes to Kentucky's world class equine industry!!